Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Tuesday, July 8th

No real pictures today, sorry.

Today there actually was a tour, and my mom and Georgia went on it while I went with a small group of ladies to go power shopping under the guidance of a lady who calls herself Ann. Her business Red Thread China is really good. Royce and I ordered a care package through her and she was excellent in making sure it arrived at the orphanage...and even calling to get updated measurements on our girl. I count myself as a highly satisfied customer.

I was also quite satisfied with this shopping expedition. I bought some nice gifts for friends at very good prices... and even two wooden "marriage boxes" that probably would have sold for 2-3 times what I paid if I had bought them in the tourist trap areas.. lol.

One of my good online friends, "Captain" Angela asked about the weight restrictions.. lol.. well, each person is allowed one checked bag at 44lbs weight. Since we purchased a seat for Georgia she is entitled to a checked bag at that limit too...and her stuff doesn't weigh nearly that amount (and its packed in my bag anyway) so we picked up a reasonably priced suitcase to use to put the souveniers on.. hehehe

Tommorrow: in the morning a "red couch" photo...and in the afternoon, our consulate appointment, interview, oath and getting Georgia's visa for entry into the USA!

** the red couch photo is sort of a tradition (not sure who or how it got started) by adopting parents who stay at the White Swan hotel... babies/kids in the group are usually dressed in traditional Chinese clothes and posed on this particular red couch for a group photo.

6 comments:

Kristen said...

Well then, since you have all that extra space and Georgia won't need 44lbs worth of stuff, go crazy. =) The "red couch" photo sounds like a great tradition. Do you know if they keep a copy of those photos for themselves to have as keepsakes for all the families have come through? So when do you get to take her home? I don't remember what date you said originally. Thanks for sharing all of this!

Anonymous said...

You know, I just get all excited for you every time I read one of these updates. I'm grinnin like an idiot, and feeling that anticipation excitement. I am just so HAPPY and THRILLED for you and your family, especially little Georgia who is going to a family who is going to love her and give her such a wonderful life. You give me hope. :)

kimbalaya said...

I've just gotten caught up on your whole story, and I have to say how happy I am for you! I had tears in my eyes over several of your posts. Congratulations!

MysticSpirit said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MysticSpirit said...

Well, then!! As long as you know you'll be fine with a bag for Georgia. And kids things never weigh as much as adult things. ;O) Go crazy!! How many pounds does the bag alone weigh? :O>

Can't wait to see the "red couch" photo!

AeronwyDiobhell said...

Nice to get good deals! And I hope you lay everything out and share pictures with us after you've given them to folks. (Well, take the pictures before you give them away, but put them on your blog after you've given them out.) I'd love to see the wedding boxes!

Ooo, smart thinking about using her weight allowance for gifts and momentos! This is definitely the trip of a lifetime and it would stink to not be able to bring back more than just pictures and your daughter (not that she alone isn't worth it all). It'll be nice to have some things around the house that you can point to and tell her you got it when you got her.

I can't wait to see the "red couch photo" tomorrow!