Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Tuesday July 1

Actaully, first off here is a picture from our first meeting on Monday June 30th.



I had forgotten to mention I was a little bit smart that day -- I brought a bribe. I knew from pictures I had received from other parents who had adopted from Yangzshou orphanage that little miss Georgia had experience with - and liked - lollypops. So I brought a few for that first meeting. It definitely helped quiet some of the crying and she didnt struggle to be let down after that.

I just want to say..all of the comments gave me real joy and heart. Especially the ones from my brother. ((hugs)) and one reason I wrote about the doubts and everything else.... to reach out for reasurance, primarily..but to also show other prospective adoptive parents that if they have those doubts..its okay..its normal. I think too often some adoptive parents are a bit afraid to write about the realities and the doubts. Maybe they are afraid of censure..or maybe by the time they get to write in their journal or blog, things are already getting better..so they allow themselves to forget their fears and wild imaginings. It isn't all sunshine and roses...although those who are lucky enough to have smooth transitions -- I don't begrudge you that! I just hope you realize and appreciate how lucky you are.

****

Tuesday morning started out with our first venture as a threesome (mom, Georgia and I) to the hotel's breakfast buffet. Georgia did not want to be put down and since she was fairly calm, I didn't want to needlessly upset her by sitting her in the highahir... so I held her in my lap while mom got food for herself and us.

Georgia ate a few bites of food - but not really a lot...but she did indicate by pointing that she wanted some juice. And with me holding the cup, she drank from it. I'm qute sure she could hold a cup on her own...but her hands were full -- she had an orep cookie in one hand (snagged from our room) and her photo book in the other. She would nibble on the cookie once in awhile, but mostly just enjoyed holding it... it was like a security thing to have that bit of food in her hand.

After breakfast, most of our group got into the bus to go to the Walmart in Nanjing. It was in a large shopping mall and took up 2 floors...and there was even this sloping escalator that you could take your shopping cart from one level to the other. We bought some food supplies (more bottled water, some soda and junk food as well as juices for Georgia) -- and some nonfood items - like a toy phone for Georgia and a pair of nonsqueaky tennis shoes.

Georgia came to us in a pair of sandals that squeak when she walks...squeaky shoes are big for little kids in China. And they are real cute -- but after a few minutes, they do get a tiny bit annoying, at least to me. lol We also bought an umbrella stroller to use here in Nanjing, and maybe gate-check when we fly out to Guangzhou. Our girl isn't fat or anything like that...but she is stocky and solidly built.. I think a good solid 30 lbs or so. So I think some of the one piece 24 month outfits I bought/brought are going to be too small... I haven't even tried them. But the 2T and 3T things should work.

After Walmart, there was just a bit of time to go back to the room to put things away, and we had to be off again -- back to the civil affairs office. This was truly it now... we had our 24 hours harmonious period...time to decide - did we truly want to adopt this child or not. And while it may not have seemed like it in my previous posts... even with my momentary doubts, I knew that Georgia was my daughter.... and no matter what rough bumps might come up, I had already committed my heart to her.

When we arrived at the civil affairs office, it was not as crowded as the day before... evidently for the finalizations they broke it up a bit -- seeing some groups in the morning, and our group in the afternoon. As we entered the inner office, a gentleman greeted Georgia by her Chinese name. It was the orphanage director. (I have his name written down elsewhere - but again, I'm typing in the dark as Georgia sleeps, so I'll write it down later.)

Anyway, she screwed up her face and bawled when she saw him at first... I think maybe she was afraid she was going back or something. But when I continued to hold her she seemed to realize she wasn't, and brightened back up.

The director truly radiated love and caring for "his" kids (there is one other child from his orphange being adopted by a oouple in our group.) He had a digital camera of his own, and took a few pictures of the girls with their new families. Then, later, once the paperwork was filled out, he came back to play with the kids and give them some gifts. (Well, not gifts in terms of being free -- but I was willing to pay the nominal fee for them -- a photo album with pictures of Georgia - and it had a few infant pictures of her...as well as a lock of her hair from her first haircut...and some tapes of chinese children's music, and a chop with her chinese name.)







I think a smile is the best place to end the day's post. Wasn't that smile worth waiting for?

Tommorrow: sightseeing tour to Fuzi temple.

10 comments:

busydad said...

Tracy,

Im so glad things are settling a bit, and im sure they will continue to get even smoother. I have a very good feeling that the smile that we see in the last pic will be seen so many more times to come. Give Georgia all my love and also from Austin,Megan and Greg.... And Kelly too!

P.S Just something else to tell mom,,,Besides Margo missing her. Martha across the street really really misses her, And she is driving me crazy(since she doesnt have mom to bug).....HURRY!!!MOM!!!

LOVE your baby brother!

Bella's Mommy said...

Tracy,

I am so glad that things with Miss Georgia are going better. I can't wait to see all the photos of that beautiful little face smiling back at us!

Wishing you the best,
Maryann (aka mikeandmare on RQ)

Andrine said...

Tracey,
I'm so glad things are getting better. I can barely wait to meet her when you get back.
Andrine

Unknown said...

That smile is definitely worth it!!!

Lisa said...

*melts* See, already, she's started bonding with you!

MysticSpirit said...

Oh yes. The smile was most definitely worth it. It's heartening to see that she didn't want to go back with the director ... as it seems to me that might be what she was thinking when you went back. She was just getting used to you, and now you're giving her back! ;O) But ... then she realized you weren't. :O) Hehe.

How long before you return to the states?

Anonymous said...

Aww sweetie, those are lovely pictures. I'm behind on your blog, but so thrilled to be catching up. I can totally understand that first day of random upsets. Transition always has hurdles, but I know she's going to settle in and grow to love you just as much as you've loved her for the past several years. :) You're doing a wonderful thing, and I'm so happy for you, and for baby Georgia.

Robin said...

so glad I found your blog while you are in china. I had to show my husband his "tank" and her forever family! :0) I'm also glad to know we weren't the only ones who had to "pay" for our gifts. Just curious, how much was your nominal fee? Our's was $100.

Kristen said...

She's such a pretty little girl and her face lit up with that smile. I'm thinking the day before when she was crying, she may have been picking up on all the other kids' reactions and emotions in a room full of strange people. And then she had a full day with you and your mom, all the other strange people were gone and I'm sure her tummy was feeling better.

AeronwyDiobhell said...

Hehe, good going with the bribe! :-) That's awesome that after that first afternoon, she didn't want to get put down. *cheers*

Did Georgia like getting new shoes? Or did she miss her squeaky ones? AWWWW that's so cool that she didn't want to go back. *beams* A "chop with her Chinese name"? What's a chop?

She is absolutely adorable and yes, her smile is fantastic. :-D