Friday, August 8, 2008

A Visit to Grammy's

"Grammy" was what we always called my own great-grandmother, whom I was fortunate enough to know and remember. (I was a teenager when she passed away at age 99.)

Thomas calls my mom "Boo-boo" (long story on that name), and Royce's mother, "Grandma"...and my grandma (his great-grandma) "Grammy".



She is a lovely, lovely woman...even though she herself would scoff at my saying so. And while I truly loved all my grandparents, I can with total honesty say that she was always my favorite, the one I felt closest to. (and not just because she is my only surviving grandparent.) What a shame that Alzheimers is slowly robbing her of the bits that make her herself...her memories.

But today was a good day. She remembered me (or seemed to), and was thrilled to see my son Thomas.



And also thrilled to meet her newest great-grandchild from half a world away.



So often, I've heard stories of people in my parents generation...nevermind Grammy's generation who just don't "get" adoption, and some who display blatant (and in my mind unreasonable) favoritism to those grandchildren (or great-grandchildren) that they are genetically related to.

Not my family! From Grammy on, everyone has been so accepting and welcoming of Georgia. So willing to love her. Granted, I know she's quite loveable... but this natural acceptance and love....to me, that's the true miracle of adoption.

6 comments:

kimbalaya said...

How special to have a Grammy! My kids have a Great-Mom, and it's always so special to see them together. (My Great-Grandmother was called Great-Mom as well, a term coined by my little brother when he got confused by all the different names she was being called - Mom, Grandma, Great-Grandma - one day we were visiting.)

So happy that the family is being so great with Georgia!

MysticSpirit said...

Alzheimer's sucks. My grandfather was 79 when he finally succumbed to the side-effects of Alzheimer's. :O( *sigh* But your family is really cool to be so accepting of a non-blood relative. :O) I think that is totally awesome.

The only grandparent I have left is my mom's mom ... but I think she's having memory issues now. :O( And she's so STUBBORN! *SIGH*

Anyway ... Georgia looks more TAN! You guys spending a lot of time outside? Are you gonna let her hair grow so you can do "girly things" to it? :O))

Running Librarian said...

Oh yes, she's definitely aquired a tan...even though we use sunscreen on her. (I guess all that does is prevent burns!)

We're intending to maybe trim her bangs but let the rest of her hair grow. I look forward to doing girlie things with it! (If she'll let me) :)

Lisa said...

My daughter was fortunate enough to have my mom's mom until this year. *misses grandma*

Horray for adoption! My mom was adopted. Granted, her adopted father was her biological uncle, but he was the only father she ever knew.

If I could afford to, I'd love to adopt a child from China or Africa, but unfortunately, I can barely afford to feed the one I have.

AeronwyDiobhell said...

That was awesome! It's great to hear that everyone is so accepting of Georgia and welcoming her as part of the family so quickly. It's got to make her transition so much easier to deal with. Very cool to hear how much she's already picking up though with both English and sign-language.

Laura said...

I think it's wonderful your kids have their Grammy and that everyone is so accepting in your family. Lovely pictures thanks for sharing them with us!