Saturday, June 28, 2008

Sunday June 29: arrival in Nanjing

Today is the day we flew to Nanjing, the capital of Jiangsu province. Nanjing: "Nan"=south and "Jing" = capital, so it litterally means "south capital. ("Bei"=north, so "Beijing"=north capital.)

We needed to wake up at 4am this morning because the bellboy was going to pick up our bags at about 4:45am. We needed to grab a quick breakfast at the hotel's buffet, then be ready to checkout and leave by 5:50am. Our plane was due to take off around 7:20am.



Here is our group, getting ready to board our plane. The ride itself was quite uneventful and nice, taking about 1hr 40 minutes, give or take.





We landed at Nanjing airport about 9:15am. Here I am standing under the sign that says "Welcome to Nanjing". The light washed it out a bit when one of our group took a picture of me under the sign, but I was able to get a good picture of the sign itself.

The drive to the hotel was a little over an hour. Today is mostly a "rest and recover" day.... we are going to go as a group to the bank to exchange our money to pay for the in-province fees. (Due in Yuan), and later go to a local grocery store for snacks, bottled water, etc. I also believe the group will go to a local place tonight to have dinner as a group.

Then tommorrow is the day we meet our children! I'm sitting here, typing on this blog and looking at a wallet sized photo of our daughter and wondering... what will her reaction be to me/us? We're told some children cry or even scream. Some withdrawl and refuse to interact. These are perfectly understandable and normal reactions... because we look so very different from Chinese people.

But I also know that Georgia Grace Qianya Day is a fearless little girl who HAS seen caucasian people before -- when some of her friends and orphanage sisters were adopted... so maybe she will not be so afraid.

Whatever her reaction.... I hope in time she will come to realize we have so much love to give her and that she learns to trust us.

5 comments:

MysticSpirit said...

*rests with you*

I would so not want to go anywhere. I'd want to sleep, sleep, SLEEP! :O))

*is excited for you*

Angela said...

Oh, I am so excited to read about your first meeting with Georgia!

It's about time!

Lisa said...

*squirms in excitement for you* I hope Georgia isn't afraid to meet her new family.

AeronwyDiobhell said...

Huh. I never knew what Beijing actually meant. Cool! Everything looks almost like home and yet so different. I wish I were there seeing it all too!

I hope she responds with open arms to you and recognizes the warmth and love you’re already feeling for her, but I do understand why Caucasians would be so startling to them.

Good luck sleeping though. I mean, tomorrow’s the day you get to see her in person for the first time! *bounce*

Kristen said...

How exciting! Definitely need a day to rest, but who can rest knowing you'll have your daughter the next day?